Saturday, September 24, 2005

School Begins!

This week was my first week of school- honestly, pretty depressing. I was supposed to start the 26th but they changed it to the 19th. The first day was a ceremony followed by 4 hours of absolute chaos. There aren't enough chairs for the kids, no chalk, missing windows, and several of the rooms reek of gasoline. The English lessons are more of a shouting match between the teacher and students. On the upside, the kids are really excited when I come to class and seem to be motivated to learn English. Hopefully things will change with time... It is really frustrating, though, when I'm trying to create a fun and positive learning environment and my counterpart just tears the kids down when they make a mistake. I think we'll have to have a talk. At the moment, I'm in Kutaisi where I helped with a breast cancer awareness rally. Lots of fun. I'm planning to write y'all about the more quotidian details of my life- the insane marshutkah rides, the endless khachapuri, and the intense amount of vodka foisted on me- but that will take more time than I have right now. Everything is generally good with occasional lonley hours and battles for control of my bowels. Talk to you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home